Saturday, June 6, 2009

Barn Shadows

(Photo by Dan Felstead of Wood and Pixels Narratives)



BARN SHADOWS

The standing barn has absorbed the frequencies
Of passing memories and feelings gone by
Darkened with shadows of passing time
Or the communications of a earlier eon

The old oak planks are a testimony
Of the hardworking tobacco farmer's life
Permeated wood with fragrances not soon forgotten
The emotional scars like the many wood worm holes

So why is my life wrapped in the shadows
Like the claustrophobic lines on the barn
Instead of breaking free to a different life
Where laughter can chase the shadows away

The shadows help to conceal my presence
As I wait behind the scenes
Never quite comfortable in the role of a leader
A follower I'll always be

Will my life eventually calm down
Will I come to miss these times
But I don't want everything all sunshine and roses
Because the shadows are now my best friends

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how things like barns, or sheds or even old broken down houses inspire us... this poem is wonderful and filled with some images I have had myself... keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some bloggy love ....